We’ve all been there. You buy a bunch of perfectly ripe bananas at the grocery store (I actually prefer them a little bit green), you forget about them, and a few days later you have a bunch of brown, mushy bananas. You could throw them in the freezer to use for smoothies, or you could whip up a loaf of banana bread! I personally always opt for the latter.
What if you’re craving banana bread but you don’t want to wait a few days for the bananas to over-ripen? Fear not, because you can throw them in the microwave for a couple of minutes to soften them up! If you have to do this, make sure to let the bananas cool a bit after mashing them so that you don’t potentially cook the eggs when you add them to the mixture.
One of the things that I love about banana bread is that is a very versatile. You can spice it up by adding whatever you’d like: chocolate chips, nuts, dried food, different spices, etc. My go-to is semi-sweet chocolate chips if I have them on hand, but I also sometimes add walnuts or pecans if I happen to have them on hand.
- 4 over-ripened bananas (see note above if your bananas are not brown)
- 1/4C semi-sweet chocolate chips (or chopped nuts of your choice, or both!)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4C brown sugar
- 2C flour
- Preheat the oven to 350° and spray and grease a 9×5″ loaf pan.
- Combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and ground cinnamon in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Mash the bananas with a fork in a small bowl. Cream together the brown sugar and the softened butter in a medium sized bowl. Beat in the eggs and then mix in the mashed bananas.
- Add the banana mixture into the dry ingredients and mix to combine. Fold in the chocolate chips and/or nuts.
- Pour the batter into the greased 9×5″ loaf pan and bake for 55-65 minutes, or until a tooth pick comes out clean.
- Transfer the bread onto a cooling rack and let cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting into the loaf. Serve warm with some butter and enjoy!